An explosion of Floribbean flavors that will make your mouth water. Healthy, filling, and easy to make – this grilled chicken with mango salsa recipe will quickly become a staple in your lunch or dinner schedule. Even better, if you use a bed of greens vs rice then this recipe is Paleo-friendly as well.
If mango is a flavor you love, try our wonderfully flavorful Mango Passion Fruit jam recipe.
While this salad is fairly easy to make, there is some planning and multiple steps required to make it amazing. From fresh mango salad to the perfectly grilled Cuban-inspired chicken, this is a salad I bet the kids will ask for more of!
It is important to note the number of health benefits to this salad too. From the health wonders of fruits like mango and pineapple to the essential vitamins in the avocado. There is no shortage of goodness going on in this recipe.
Grilled Chicken With Mango Salad Ingredients + Instructions
How much of the ingredients below you will need will be based on how many people you will need to feed. I have estimated the ingredients based on 2 servings, but a lot of how much you will use will depend on your tastes.
I typically live on the use of hot sauce since that can overwhelm some of the other flavors in the dish. Some cooks like to go heavy on it for the spicy accent it brings. I also tend to use a bit more pineapple since I love pineapple.
So, the point of all this is – use these recipes for mango salsa and the vinaigrette as a base, but do not be afraid to make it your own.
Mango Salsa Ingredients
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/3 of a cored pineapple
- 1 avocado
- 2-3 seeded, finely chopped fresh jalapenos or red chile peppers
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 roasted red pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Hot sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mango Salsa Instructions
- Dice all ingredients into small pieces
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl and mix well
- Adjust seasonings to taste
- Cover and place in refrigerator until plating time
Citrus Basil Vinaigrette Ingredients
- Juice if 1/2 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 orange
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 1 large shallot
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Citrus Basil Vinaigrette Instructions
- Place all ingredients except the oil and salt and pepper in a mixing bowl
- Slowly whisk in olive oil to combine well
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Set aside
Grilled Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken cutlets – 1 per person
- Cuban spice blend
Grilled Chicken Instructions
- Sprinkle cutlets with 1 teaspoon of Cuban marinade on both sides
- Grill on both sides for approximately 3 minutes or until the thermometer says they are a safe temperature
- Grill nectarine halves
If you cannot find a Cuban spice blend in your supermarket, you can also make your own. Mix some garlic and onion powders, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, oregano, and lime zest and you can have your own homemade spice blend. Here is a recipe for homemade Cuban spices if you want to see exactly how to make it.
Grilled Chicken With Mango Salsa Salad Plating
Now that you have all your items made, it is time to put it your grilled chicken with mango salad meal together.
- Add salad greens to a bowl or plate. I love using baby romaine or spring mix as a base.
- Add sliced grilled chicken to the top of greens
- Add mango salsa to the top of the chicken
- Drizzle vinaigrette to the top of the salad
Add some of our nordic bread as a side and a glass of Chardonnay and you will have a perfectly healthy dinner (adherents to a strict Paleo diet can ignore this part).
I encourage you to take this recipe and give it your signature or twist that appeals to your palate!
The image below actually shows the grilled chicken with mango salad on a bed of wild rice instead of greens. I love this version when it is a little cooler out since it offers a nice composition of warmth mixed with cold instead of being all cold.
You can also just eat the chicken with mango salad on its own if rice or greens or not your thing.