Are you in the mood to make some vegan fried chicken but you’re not sure how to do it? We can help.
In this guide, we are going to be sharing with you our very own vegan fried chicken recipe. So, just keep on reading to learn how to make your very own delicious vegan fried chicken!
Vegan Fried Chicken Recipe
This yummy crispy fried chicken is made from seitan, which is a fried traditional southern batter that replicates the texture and taste of real chicken very closely.
Besides that, this vegan fried chicken also comes complete with an extra hint of spice and seasoning.
Whether you’re planning to cook for yourself or you want to impress your friends and family next time you’re hosting a dinner party – this vegan fried chicken recipe is simply sure to be a hit.
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 10
Total Time: 20
Equipment You Will Need
Here, we are going to be providing you with a quick breakdown of the main pieces of equipment that you are going to need to make this recipe.
We have included two optional tools for frying your vegan chicken to help make this recipe a little easier to prepare with the equipment that you have.
- Two medium sized bowls
- One frying pan (preferably with high sides)
- One deep fat fryer
Ingredients You Will Need
Along with the right equipment, you are also going to need to make sure that you have all of the right ingredients.
Check out our list of ingredients below to make sure that you’ll have everything that you need to make your vegan fried chicken:
The Egg Coating
To make the crispy egg coating, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons of flour such as chickpea flour or besan flour
- 200 ml of plant milk of your choice.
- 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar, or an alternative white vinegar if you do not have cider vinegar.
- Half a tablespoon of sriracha. If you don’t have this, any hot sauce will do.
The Spice Flour
Along with the egg coating, you’re also going to need to have spiced flour. Let’s check out the ingredients:
- 300g of plain white flour, such as general purpose flour.
- 3 tablespoons of corn flour such as cornstarch.
- 2 tablespoons of fine sea salt.
- 2 teaspoons of old bay seasoning.
- Half a tablespoon of black pepper.
In order to fry your vegan fried chicken, you’re going to need to make sure you have the following:
- Vegetable oil
Once you have made sure that you have everything that you need including all of the ingredients and the equipment – you are going to be ready to begin cooking! Check out the following instructions to do it correctly:
Prepare The Vegan Chicken
To begin, start by using your fingers to carefully begin pulling apart the homemade vegan chicken that you are going to be using. This could be homemade vegan chicken or vegan chicken that you have purchased from your local grocery store.
If you aren’t going to be using vegan chicken, you can also consider using oyster mushrooms which are also super yummy. Just like with the vegan chicken, you’ll need to carefully pull the mushrooms apart until they are wing sized.
Fry The Chicken
1. After you have finished preparing the chicken alternative that you are going to be using, you can then go ahead and begin frying.
To do this, take one medium bowl and then carefully combine your gram flour of choice, vinegar, sriracha and plant milk into it. This will be your alternative egg mixture. Set it aside for later.
2. Then, in another medium bowl, you can then go ahead and combine the seasoning and spices that you are going to be using to add flavor to your vegan fried chicken.
Make sure to mix everything thoroughly so that the flavor you add to the vegan fried chicken will be well balanced and distributed throughout the entirety of the vegan fried chicken.
3. When you are ready, go ahead and place the frying pan with high sides over a medium heat. Alternatively, if you do not want to use this, you can also opt to use a deep fat fryer instead.
Before you begin frying, make sure that the temperature is around the 170 degrees celsius mark for the best results.
4. Carefully dunk your first vegan chicken into the egg mix that you have prepared.
Then, after you have done this, carefully take the vegan chicken and dunk it into the spiced seasoning flour that you have prepared.
5. After you have done this, dunk the seasoned chicken back into the mixture and then dunk it one more time in the seasoning.
From there, you can then transfer the chicken to the pan so you can go ahead and begin frying it.
6. While you are frying the fried chicken, make sure that you are frying it for around 2-4 minutes or until you can see that the fried chicken is completely golden brown in color.
7. Once the fried chicken has gone a golden brown, you can then go ahead and transfer it to a plate ready for it to be enjoyed.
If you have any remaining fried chicken that you want to try, you will need to go ahead and repeat the process with the steps that we have listed above.
8. After all of the pieces of chicken have been fried, you can then go ahead and serve while hot on a plate! Enjoy.
Top Tip: If you want to make sure that your vegan fried chicken is extra crispy and delicious, then you are going to need to make sure that you sprinkle a little bit of salt on your vegan fried chicken immediately after you have finished frying it.
Along with that, if you want to help maximize the flavor while also helping to boost the crispiness of the texture – we also recommend that you consider placing your vegan fried chicken on a paper towel immediately after you have finished frying.
Why? Well, this will help to make sure that your vegan fried chicken is free of any excess oil from the frying process, while also helping to make sure that the vegan fried chicken does not become soggy from the oil. This will help to ensure you get that crunch!
The Bottom Line
We’ve made it to the end of our recipe guide! Now that you have taken the time to read through everything that we have talked about above, we are hoping that you now have a much better idea of how you can make your very own vegan fried chicken from the comfort of your own home!
Our special recipe is super easy to make and emulates the traditional way that vegan fried chicken is made in soul food cuisine.
The only question left to ask is, when are you going to try your hand at preparing this recipe? Thank you for taking the time to read through this guide, and happy cooking!