Vegan Butter Pecan Cupcakes are a delightful treat that combines the rich, nutty flavor of pecans with the sweet, creamy texture of vegan frosting. The cupcakes themselves are a marvel of vegan baking, featuring a tender, moist crumb that comes from the combination of all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of sea salt. The Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened to perfection, infuses the cupcakes with a buttery richness, while the vegan refined sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness. Unsweetened applesauce provides moisture and a subtle fruity undertone, enhancing the overall texture without overpowering the other flavors. Vanilla extract and vanilla almond milk add a layer of aromatic sweetness, creating a harmonious blend of flavors.
The real star of these cupcakes is the generous amount of chopped pecans mixed into the batter, which not only imparts a delightful crunch but also a deep, nutty flavor that is unmistakably butter pecan. The addition of distilled white vinegar helps to activate the baking soda, ensuring a light, airy texture that perfectly complements the richness of the nuts.
To top it all off, these cupcakes are adorned with a luscious frosting made from Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese and Earth Balance Buttery Spread, both softened to create a smooth, creamy consistency. Vegan confectioners’ sugar adds sweetness and stability to the frosting, while a touch of vanilla extract and vanilla almond milk enhances its flavor. More chopped pecans are sprinkled on top, adding a final touch of crunch and nuttiness. Each bite of these Vegan Butter Pecan Cupcakes is a delightful journey through sweet, creamy frosting and moist, nutty cake, making them a perfect indulgence for any occasion.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 1 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 5 ounces Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese
- 1/3 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread, softened
- 3 1/2 cups vegan confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla almond milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To toast the pecans, spread them out on a baking pan lined with aluminum foil and bake for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the Earth Balance and refined sugar on low-medium speed until combined. Mix in the applesauce, vanilla and almond milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, sea salt and baking soda.
- Combine the wet ingredients and the dry ingredients, mixing on medium speed until well combined.
- Stir in vinegar by hand, then fold in 1 cup of the toasted pecans.
- Spoon the batter into cupcake liners and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool to room temperature.
- To make the frosting, combine the Tofutti, Earth Balance, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and almond milk into a large bowl and mix on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of toasted pecans on top.