The Vegan Banana Cake with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting is a moist, rich, and decadently sweet dessert that is sure to delight. The cake itself is soft and fluffy, with a robust banana flavor that comes from the generous use of mashed bananas. These bananas not only impart a natural sweetness and depth of flavor but also contribute to the cake’s moist, tender crumb. The cake’s texture is further enhanced by a blend of all-purpose flour, vegan refined sugar, and a combination of baking powder and baking soda, which ensures it rises beautifully while maintaining a lightness in each bite.
The Earth Balance, melted into the batter, adds a buttery richness, while the vanilla soy milk (or another non-dairy milk of choice) and distilled white vinegar work together to create a subtle buttermilk-like tang, complementing the sweetness of the cake. A hint of vanilla extract ties all these flavors together harmoniously.
Crowning this delightful cake is the coconut cream cheese frosting, a creamy, smooth, and irresistibly rich topping. It’s made with vegan cream cheese and Earth Balance, both at room temperature to ensure a smooth consistency. The frosting is sweetened with vegan confectioners’ sugar and flavored with a touch of vanilla, adding an extra layer of sweetness and depth. The coconut element in the frosting adds a tropical twist, providing a light, fragrant counterpoint to the dense, banana-rich cake. Each slice of this cake offers a perfect balance of sweet, fruity, and creamy flavors, making it an ideal treat for any occasion, especially for those who enjoy the lush combination of banana and coconut.
- Cake Ingredients:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegan refined sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 ounces of Earth Balance, melted
- 3 cups mashed bananas (approx. 8 bananas)
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk (or another non dairy milk)
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup Earth Balance at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups vegan confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups of shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Peel and mash all of the bananas and place them in a separate bowl.
- Add the Earth Balance, milk, vinegar and vanilla extract to the bananas and whisk together.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix on low-medium speed for 1-2 minutes. The batter is going to look a little lumpy, but don’t worry. Those are lumps of delicious.
- Pour into two greased 8×8″ cake pans and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- While the cakes are cooling, toast the coconut. It’s so easy to do. Just spread the coconut onto a baking sheet and toast at 300 degrees fahrenheit for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it, though. It can burn before you know it.
- Once the cakes and coconut have completely cooled, it time for frosting! Simply mix all frosting ingredients together in a large bowl on low-medium speed for 1 minute.
- Adding the coconut is easy. Grab a handful of coconut and gently press it into the frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Scoop up whatever coconut bits fall down and continue to press them to the cake until they stick.
Applying the frosting:
Add the coconut:
Final delicious product: