Nobody can deny the fact that spices make food delicious. A pinch of spice can significantly change the taste of a dish, giving a delicious flavor to wishy-washy ingredients. These spices are always ground to be used in the food, and spice grinders are the most valuable tools for getting the right taste out of them.
When it comes to spices, most people think of a Mortar and Pestle as an old piece of equipment used to grind wet and dry spices.
Since we were so occupied with our working routine, spice grinders came into being. These spice grinders need you to turn the switch on and get your fresh spices ground in a minute.
It is often said that spice grinders diminish the taste and flavor of the spice. Therefore, some people prefer mortar and Pestle over spice grinders.
On the other hand, spice grinders are popular as they are easy to use and take less time.
The use of spices is not limited to food only as they are used in making medicines, dyes, and perfumes. So, let us tell you about each of these.
Mortar and Pestle vs. Spice Grinder
Mortar and Pestle
Mortar and Pestle have been the oldest tools for grinding spices, and they are still in use. Their importance never diminished because people believe that mortar and Pestle increase the spice flavor.
This is the most natural process of grinding spices, and no other method can compete with it.
On the other hand, spice grinders are mostly preferred as they can make your spice powder within a second. The method is straightforward as you only need to put the ingredients into the jug and turn the switch on.
It does not only work for spices, but you can also grind your nuts, onions, garlic, ginger, and seeds as its blades are sharp enough to cut everything into a powder form. Spice grinders work similarly to food processors.
Let’s get into a quick difference between the two.
|Categories||Spice Grinder||Mortar and Pestle|
|Ease of Use||Yes||Yes|
|Control on Consistency||No||Yes|
|Time||Take less time||Take more time|
Ease of Use
The number one advantage of using regular mortar and pestles is that they are the most convenient.
They are handy, and anyone can use them. They do not require any high machinery to work, and mortar and Pestle do not use electricity and are also safer.
You only need to put the spice or anything into the mortar and push the Pestle inside it. Just mash the food items inside the mortar, and it’s ready.
The best part is when you rustle up the spices into a mortar and crush them with a pestle; then, the spice extracts a special juice, which is impossible when grinding with a spice grinder. This juice tastes very well when it is mixed up with other ingredients.
While on the other hand, a spice grinder has sharp blades which only cut the substance and do not extract the juice. This juice adds flavor to your dish, and without flavor, a dish never appeals.
Consistency & Texture
Another advantage of using the old Pestle and mortar is the composition of the substance you put into it. When you grind the spices into a mortar and Pestle, you have control over their thickness and texture.
Not all people love crushed spices in their dishes, and different people enjoy different textures of spices. Mortar and Pestle give you this opportunity.
While a spice grinder takes a minute and crushes the spice, it does not let you manage the texture of the ingredients inside it.
Trying different consistency in the same spice also gives a different taste. Cooking is an art, so why not try different things every day?
Are Spice Grinders Only for Grinding Spices?
It is all your choice if you use a grinder or the mortar and Pestle; any of these tools can be used to grind spices.
If you are a coffee lover and want coffee at the time when you wake up, then these grinding and crushing tools can crumble the coffee beans for you.
Similarly, grinders are best for use if you are making a food paste. If you have a spice grinder,, you already know how easy it is to clean it and place items.
For example, if you are making a fish today and want to fry it with breadcrumbs, you know how to set the dry bread in the grinder and grind it.
You can say that these kitchen tools can be your best friends in the kitchen as they have solutions to all your grinding problems.
How Can I Choose the Best Mortar and Pestle
Some people do not use mortar and pestle as they think, and they are heavy to handle, and that’s not entirely true, as mortar and pestle come in various designs and materials. The material ranges from wood, ceramic, marble, glass, granite, to even bamboo.
If you are looking to buy the best mortar and pestle, we suggest you buy a granite mortar and pestle as it can help you grind almost anything. It is not wrong to say that a granite mortar and pestle can last a lifetime.
- A kitchen must-have: Mortar and pestle set (mortero de cocina - morter and pessel - molcajete or guacamole bowl and pestel) has been used for THOUSANDS of years as THE way to crush, grind and powder herbs and dry spices. Contrary to an electric grinder or crusher, the age-old, durable, traditional manual grinding method ensures that all cooking ingredients bring out their full flavor and aroma profiles, allowing you to further control their texture and make delicious, chunk-free dishes.
- Versatile tool: Take advantage of your brand new stone motar and pedestal set’s various applications in the kitchen and simplify your everyday life! Use your mortor to pulverize nuts, seeds, ginger root and garlic and make homemade salad dressing, sauces and condiments, such as fresh mustard, quacamole, pesto, salsa, chutneys and more. Widely used in pharmacies and apothecaries, your molcajete set will help you powder pills, for optimal ingestion, or hide them in your stubborn pet’s kibble!
- Effortless use: This ChefSofi stone mocajetes motor & pedestal set was designed with your convenience in mind. Made from unpolished granite, you will waste no time fumbling or stabilizing your pestal masher, as our motar’s cup interior provides the best, metate-like natural friction for swift ingredient crushing, grinding or powdering. With a 500 ml (approx. 2 Cup) capacity, this stone mortor also reduces the need for ingredient refills, affording quick food prep, in one go!
- Quick cleaning & zero kitchen messes: As granite is inherently durable and heavy, this mortar will not slip on your kitchen counters, remaining still throughout the grinding process. Our pestle offers foolproof grip, gliding across the mortar’s interior, without the need of excess hand motions, which would result in ingredient waste and kitchen counter messes! By investing in this stoneware set, you are gaining a timeless, multifunctional kitchen tool, which will make cooking a breeze!
- Satisfaction guarantee: We want you to be absolutely elated with your moter and pestle set, which is why we are offering you a Risk-Free purchase. In the unlikely event our set fails to meet or exceed your expectations, you are welcome to return it for a hassle-free, FULL refund. Purchase Now The Best, Unpolished Marble - Granite Mortar & Pestle Set On The Market!
The best part is, a granite mortar and pestle do not absorb water, and their hardness makes them almost unbreakable.
Recommended further reading:
How Can I Choose the Best Spice Grinder
Although spice grinders compromise on the consistency of spice, they can sometimes be the only solution when you are in a rush to cook.
If you are specifically looking for a grinder that crushes spices and nuts, we prefer buying a Cuisinart spice and nut grinder. Let’s see the features of this one briefly:
- Electric spice-and-nut grinder with durable stainless-steel blades
- Heavy-duty motor; push-top lid for simple on/off control
- Bowl holds 90 grams; extra storage space in lid; nonslip rubber feet
- Dishwasher-safe lid and bowl; instruction manual with recipes included
- Product Built to North American Electrical Standards
This tool comes with two medium-sized bowls, and so you can choose which bowl proves the best for specific ingredients.
You do not need to wait to turn on the two bowls together and save time. The best part is that both bowls can be put into a dishwasher, and there’s no harm in it. This grinder is the best among all.
Does Buying a Mortar and Pestle A One-Time Investment?
Preparing a meal at home is always tastier than getting a meal from outside, so why not buy a good tool that lasts for a longer time?
If you will buy a mortar and Pestle, then this is the best choice as it lasts forever. The spice grinders are very efficient for grinding, but they do not come with a lifetime guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Which is better: mortar and pestle or spice grinder?
If you are a working individual or don’t have enough time to grind the ingredients into mortar and Pestle, you should buy a spice grinder as it can ease your life. The blades of a spice grinder are sharp enough to cut the food items into powdered form in a minute. While a mortar and Pestle takes time, they bring the juicy texture out of ingredients that adds taste to our meals.
Is grinding your spices better?
Yes, grinding your spices is always a better choice as you can get more flavor this way. When you grind spice in a mortar and Pestle, you get control over its consistency and texture—grinding into a mortar and pestle releases juice, whether it is mint, nutmeg, cumin, or coriander.
Why are mortar and Pestle better?
Mortar and Pestle do not make the powdered form of spice, while the spice grinder cuts the food into powder form and does not make any juice. When you grind spice in a mortar and Pestle, you get control over its consistency and texture.
Is marble good for mortar and Pestle?
Marble is an excellent material to have. It lasts forever and is an incompressible material, and it’s not a short-lived material that will break after specific usage. It can easily crush nuts, spices, and any other thing that you want to grind.
Its surface is hard but easy to clean, and no cracks appear even after extensive use. Therefore one can confidently say that marble is a good material for mortar and Pestle.
Is Cast Iron good for mortar and Pestle?
Cast iron is an excellent material for mortars and pestles with its density and longevity.
Now, whether it is a spice grinder or mortar and Pestle, you understand everything about both. We recommend you buy mortar and Pestle if you like to add a taste and flavor to your meal. Cooking is an art, and mortar and Pestle add authentic colors.
We hope you’ve found this article helpful, and if you did, do share it with your friends and let them know about the risks of using a Yeti mug in the microwave.
Thank you for reading!