Skip to content
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup vegan refined sugar
2 tablespoons + 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
2 tablespoons Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan substitute, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup brewed coffee, cold
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and sea salt.
- Stir together the almond milk, melted Earth Balance and vanilla extract
- Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter into a 9" x 9" cake pan
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining refined sugar, brown sugar and cocoa powder.
- Pour the sugar mixture over top of the cake batter and shake the pan to distribute evenly.
- Pour the cold coffee on top of the cake. Do not stir it in.
- Place the pan in the oven for 40 - 45 minutes. It's done when the top of the cake is shiny and dry.
- Remove from the oven and let the cake cool for 15 minutes before serving (ideally with a spoonful of vegan dairy-free vanilla ice cream).