If you have ever really looked at the labels of some of the popular store bought brands of deodorants, you may be shocked at just how many there are. This is why I wanted a DIY natural deodorant that I could make at home, and this recipe actually does the job for me.
I wanted a deodorant that was vegan and only used organic ingredients as well, so that is what you will find in the ingredients list.
Now, if you sweat a lot – this deodorant may not help with that. It may not be strong enough to use n those extra stinky days at the gym either. Since everyone is different, how successful it is at keeping the stink away will depend on your body chemistry.
For me, it keeps me stink free all day – whether I am at the office, working from home, or doing some light housework.
I choose to put mine in a small glass jar and use my fingers to rub it on my armpit. For me, it is easier than the sticks and allows me to have more control. You can make any of these recipes and put them in a jar or in a deodorant tube, whichever you prefer.
DIY: How to Make Organic Vegan Deodorant at Home
So, how do you make a Homemade Deodorant? Well, just follow the Recipes below and you will probably never buy a soap again.
There are a lot of natural deodorants out there, it’s just that, well… most of them don’t work well. I have tried so many of them and can tell you by experience that just because it says natural that may not always be the case or they just simply don’t work.
And here’s a disclaimer as I am giving you a great deodorant recipe, that this recipe may not work for you. I find that it is truly a person’s body chemistry that will determine the right deodorant. So keep this in mind, eating a good diet and drinking enough water can really cut down the odor. If you can find, buy aluminum-free baking soda and all-natural or organic arrowroot powder.
You can find them in your grocery store or local health food store or even online. I am going to post two great recipes that I use in my home, one with shea butter and one without, use what you have or what is best for you. All the ingredients I am using in batch are organic, pure and all natural.
This is the first time using candelilla wax, so I will give you an update on how this works with this new recipe!
Vegan Natural Deodorant Recipe
Don’t be scared by all the ingredients – this deodorant is easier than it looks. This should be enough to make (3) 2.25 ounce deodorant sticks.
- 4 ounces aluminum free baking soda
- 2 ounces arrowroot powder
- 1 3/4 ounces organic unrefined shea butter
- 2 ounces organic coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon candelilla wax
- 1/2 ounce organic avocado oil
- 20 drops vitamin E oil
- 20 drops sweet orange essential oil (or your favorite scent)
- 2 1/2 ounces almond essential oil
You may not realize you can actually make your own scented oils too! Try this homemade orange oil recipe that you can then use in your deodorant.
- Weigh out the shea butter and place into a double boiler or glass container.
- Measure out 1/4 teaspoon of candelilla wax and add to the shea butter.
- Heat in double boiler or microwave until melted.
- In a heat resistant bowl, add the shea butter and candelilla wax.
- Weigh out the coconut oil and avocado oil and stir into the melted butters and wax.
- Add the baking soda and arrowroot powder and stir into the liquefied mixture. Mix well.
- Add Vitamin E and scented essential oil and thoroughly mix.
- Pour the deodorant into (3) 2.25oz. empty deodorant containers.
- Allow deodorants to cool, then cap and label.
DIY Vegan Natural Deodorant Without Candelilla Wax
If you are having trouble finding candelilla wax or just prefer not to use it, then this is an optional homemade deodorant recipe that does not require it.
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 3 tablespoons Baking Soda
- 2 tablespoons Shea Butter
- 2 tablespoons Arrowroot
- Essential Oil of choice (optional)
- Melt shea butter and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat until barely melted.
- Remove from heat and add baking soda and arrowroot.
- Mix well
- Add essential oils and let cool completely.
- Put into an old clean deodorant stick for easier use.
DIY Coconut Oil Deodorant Recipe
Finally, we have one more option for you that replaces the shea butter and candelilla wax.
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil, soft
- 1/4 teaspoon essential oil (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined and store in an airtight container.
- You can also melt and pour the deodorant into empty deodorant containers.
If you have sensitive skin you will want to cut the baking soda down to 2 tablespoons and add 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder instead.
While there has been no research that shows deodorant can cause cancer, as some other websites claim – I prefer not to take that chance. As part of my vegan transition, I am really being cautious about every thing I put in – or on my body.
I do not want to have anything that can cause harm – to me or animals.
Have you tried out a homemade deodorant that you love? What about those of you with sweaty pits, have you had any success with something homemade or natural?