It’s heating up here in NYC and, if you follow me on Instagram, you know that I’ve been merrily eating my way through these early days of summer.
If you’re following me on Instagram you also know that the kit cats are having an insanely active summer full of snuggles, sitting in boxes, sleeping in boxes, sleeping on each other, sleeping on shoes and, when they’re feeling crazy, sleeping in bed.
1. put that lime-in-the-coconut song in your head for days
2. make you very happy.
Make this cake. Follow me on Instagram. That is, unless you hate photos of cats. Do not follow me if you hate photos of cats.
Also, GO BRUINS!
- 3/4 cup plain or vanilla almond milk
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegan butter substitute, softened, plus more for baking dish
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, plus more for baking dish
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, plus 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cups mixed raspberries and blackberries (I used half of each. You can also substitute blueberries).
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Stir together the almond milk and vinegar. Set aside.
Spread a thin layer of vegan butter substitute in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish, covering the bottom and sides.
Lightly sprinkle flour over the vegan butter.
In a large bowl, whisk together 1 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and coconut.
In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan butter substitute and refined sugar on low-medium speed.
Mix in the mashed banana and apple sauce.
Mix in the lime zest and lime juice.
Stir in the almond milk + vinegar combo.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until fully combined.
Pour the cake batter into the baking dish and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining tablespoon of flour, 1 tablespoon of sugar, blackberries, raspberries and orange juice.
Sprinkle the berry mixture over top of the cake.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
Allow the cake to cool a bit before serving.
Once fully cooled, store the cake in refrigerator, covered, for up to 5 days.