Once upon a time there were supposed to be opening season hockey games tonight, and now there aren’t.
Voice in my head says, “No one cares that you’ve been looking forward to this day for six months, Nikki. No one cares that the promise of today is what kept you sane through a long, humid summer filled with hours upon hours watching baseball, tennis, rowing, soccer and all other warm weather sports played on grass or sand or in the water, with players who wear only the occasional knee pad for protection and, sometimes, even play in bare feet. Bare feet!”
Grumble grumble. Foot stomp. Sigh.
Here’s a big cat in a little box.
Here’s a big cat and a slightly less big cat on a pillow.
Here’s a sleepy face.
Kittehs are good.
Cinnamon in frosting is good.
Bourbon in everything is good.
Cupcakes will always be here for me.
Cupcakes will never go on strike.
Why don’t you guys come over tonight? We’ll eat cupcakes while we reenact the Flyers 2010 Cup run using hand puppets and an Oreo.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance), softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese substitute (I used Tofutti)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance), softened
- 3 1/4 cups vegan confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add in the applesauce and almond milk.
Stir in the molasses. Don’t freak out when the almond milk separates and looks all weird. It’s totally fine.
Make the frosting by combining all ingredients in a large bowl and mixing on low-medium speed. Store your frosting in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it. Frost the cupcakes.