This cake is a loaf. This loaf is a cake. This loaf of a cake smells like a beach vacation baking in your oven.
It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to throw a little rum into the batter. Or would it? I’m not sure. I’ll try that next time around and I’ll let you know. Maybe just sip a glass of rum as you stir the batter and fantasize about steel drums, hammocks and ocean breezes.
Beach vacation, I want you.
Brooklyn, please try to be more beach vacation-like.
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup vegan refined sugar
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread or another vegan butter substitute, softened
- 1/2 cup vegan vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 20 ounce can pineapple, drained very well (if you use sliced pineapple, cut the slices into 1/2″ pieces)
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spread the coconut onto a baking pan
and bake for 6 minutes, stirring once. Keep a close eye on it. As soon as it browns, remove it from the oven.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and sea salt.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until fully combined.
Spread the batter into a loaf pan.
The cake is done when a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
Wrap up a few slices, toss them in your bag and invite me to go to the beach with you. Please?